Adventure In Japan - Part 2

Takachiho is the name of the next place I visited. 

I caught the Shinkensen (bullet train) from Tokyo to Hakata in Fukuoka; took me about half a day to get there. I bought SunQ Pass which would allow me to travel by train and bus for free for three days whilst I was in Fukuoka. I booked a highway bus from Hakata Station to Takachiho Bus Centre; the bus ride took around four hours. Once there, I dropped off my stuff at the Guesthouse and started to explore the city.

It rained during my visit so I wasn’t able to see everything this town has to offered but I got to see what I came to see - the Takachiho Gorge. The Gorge was beautiful with small waterfall. I rented a boat and explore the Gorge up close.


Another must-do activity in Takachiho is to watch Kagura dance at the Takachiho Shrine at night. 

“Yokagura” is a repertoire of 33 ancient dances which have been passed down from generation to generation. It is said to have originated in a dance of “Ame no Uzume“, the Shinto goddess of dawn, mirth and revelry.

Amaterasu hid in a cave located close to Amano Iwato Shrine. She did that because she was so scared of her brother Susanoo, the Shinto god of the sea and storms who happens to be the husband of Ame-no-Uzume. All the other gods tried to lure her out of the cave, but failed. Ame-no-Uzume started a very ridiculous dance. The other gods couldn’t stop laughing.

Amaterasu became curious hearing all that ruckus outside and finally came out! They closed the cave behind her to make sure she couldn’t go back.
And thus sunlight had returned to earth! (http://zoomingjapan.com/travel/takachiho-miyazaki-kyushu/)


The only thing I dislike about this town was that, restaurants weren’t opened until 8:30pm; nothing opened until late at night besides the convenient stores. I ended up eating instant noodles for dinner.  But overall, Takachiho was worth visiting. 
Author: Pim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taiwan Travel tips

What to eat when you are in Melbourne