Stonehenge

Stonehenge!




I visited Stonehenge in November 2015, and it is by far one of my favourite places I've ever been - I'm talking top 3. 

I'm a history student, so archaeological sites are literally my favourite things to visit when on holiday. Stonehenge has always been on my list, and it definitely lived up to my expectations. That being said, my expectations were simply what the site is. BUT, If you come expecting something otherworldly and magical, well try and remember that those stones - sarsen and bluestone, brought from 32 and over 250 km respectively - have been there for an estimated 4500 years, and that seems pretty magical to me.


When you visit Stonehenge, make sure you read the the information and have a look around the visitor centre where you first arrive - it will tell all about why Stonehenge is so impressive. It has information on not just the Stones at Stonehenge, but the surrounding area, which includes burial mounds, and an ancient landscape that includes numerous ditches, and a causeway, all leading to the circle at Stonehenge. I probably haven't explained this very well, it's been a while since I went (Which is why you have to explore the Visitor centre!).

'The Heel Stone'


"At Summer Solstice an observer standing within the stone circle, looking north-east through the entrance, would see the Sun rise in the approximate direction of the heel stone, and the sun has often been photographed over it." Source

When you're moving between the visitor centre and the site of the stones, make sure you walk instead of taking the courtesy bus - there is a LOT to see!




A Burial Mound

A few more

Stonehenge on the horizon



My personal story with Stonehenge involved missing the final bus back to Salisbury, and walking through fields with sheep for two hours (including being chased out of one field), before I found Fargo Road to the North and managed to get a bus back...It was a big day :p



I don't have much to say about Stonehenge, just that even if you think it's an over-rated tourist site, it is worth the visit.


author: Lara Cunningham

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taiwan Travel tips

What to eat when you are in Melbourne