Roma, Italy

Rome


Okay, so I've never actually been to Rome, but it is right up there at the top of my list. When I go, I am just going to devote an entire week to seeing every single piece of history I can get.

Rome has such a long history, one of the most well-known in the world no doubt - there's not a lot of people you'll speak to who don't know the name Julius Caesar. Now I'm not going to get into much more (I will never stop talking if I do!)

My mum has just come back from a 7 week trip in Europe, including 4 days in Rome. All the pictures are hers, and I'll just write a little bit here on her thoughts on Rome (all in my words, she wouldn't let me post her exact words :p).

Mum at the Vatican!

So her first thoughts, were about how busy Rome is. People are absolutely everywhere she says, especially around the big tourist attractions. 

Dogs too apparently! (Fountain near the Spanish Steps)

Now, even though there are tourists everywhere, mum says you absolutely cannot miss the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, and of course, the Colosseum. If you want to be there with less people, you'll have to do winter, and if you want pictures with just you, you will definitely need to head where you want at dawn or late at night.

The Pantheon!

The Spanish Steps!

This is your photo op unless you want to get there super early! Still bloody beautiful though!


The Colosseum! Night and Day

Masses of tourists aside, mum says Rome was "...just such an enjoyable, vibrant place. The Sun was shining most of the time we were there, and there's restaurants and happy people strolling everywhere. You were always smelling something delicious in the air!"


Alcohol free beer for mum, your classic beer for dad! Mum says Europe has so many more options for those who cant drink alcohol; Gluten free beer for Coeliacs too!






Mum says it was the strangest coffee she'd ever had, but one of the best!

Lunch with a Vatican view, not bad at all!

Now, the Vatican. Mum didn't say much about it, just that it was absolutely stunning, and that the history of the place was downright awe-inspiring. 25 000 people per day!! Mum says if you fell over you could be trampled! Oh and they speak Latin in the Vatican - the Vatican is the only place in the World with an ATM in Latin.

 I've got my own issues with the Vatican (they've got one of the biggest, if not the biggest collection of ancient artifacts in the world, but they'll only grant access to academics with an intensive application. I'm of the view that history is for the people, so it bugs me a bit). BUT, the grandiosity of the Vatican can not be denied, and for those art lovers as well as history lovers, it is one of the most impressive places on Earth. These pictures below are just a sample of what it has on offer. 










St. Peter's Basilica


All set up for the Wednesday sermon


I'm obsessed with the lighting in this picture







Rome is such an ancient city - I'd say one of the only cities in the World that has the old and the new so massively intertwined in daily living. The architecture is intense, and the colouring is amazing. If you're massively into history the way I am, well even if you're not, you have got to get the 'Roma 72 hour pass'. You get free admission into the first 2 museum or archaeological sites of your choice, then reduce ticket prices to all other museums and archaeological sites for the rest of the time. It gives you free use of the city's public transport network, and at the Colosseum, Roma Pass holders get direct access to the security checkpoint, without waiting in the ticket window line (and with how busy Rome is, that's going to be a real time saver).


A free map too of course!


Okay, to finish off, here's some of my favourite photos mum took!










author: Lara Cunningham

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taiwan Travel tips

What to eat when you are in Melbourne